วันอาทิตย์ที่ 1 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2555

S Is For Success: 4 Requirements For The Accomplished Coach

Please join me for a fun series. My mission, and I've chosen to accept it, is to write a post based on each letter of the alphabet. The English major inside of me is very excited about this project... and my inner nerd is even more fired up! Keep checking back as I tackle the intangibles of sport... from A to Z.

As I mentioned in the intro up above, I was an English major in college. So hopefully you won't find it weird that I mention I'm using the adjective version of "accomplished" and not the verb. It's not an action, but a description. Also, I most certainly don't see myself as highly skilled or an expert... one definition of accomplished. And since I plan to coach for many years to come, I haven't completed my coaching aspirations... another definition of accomplished.

Transition Coaching

I've been to a few retirement dinners in my time and am always impressed by what is said about the retiree. Of course, that leads me to wonder what will be said about me once I hang up the whistle. When it's all said and done, I want to look back on my career and regard it as "accomplished".

S Is For Success: 4 Requirements For The Accomplished Coach

4 areas that coaches should address for an accomplished career

Team. I'd love for my teams to develop quality skills (tangible and intangible) over the course of their years with me. I'd love for them to look forward to competition, always play hard, and be good teammates. I want our opponents to respect the way we coach and play the game of volleyball.
Alumni. I want my alums to see me as accessible, knowledgeable, and interested in keeping them connected to the institution. Hopefully I've done a good enough job when they were student-athletes to create an easy transition into their post-competition days.
Recruits. I want my fellow coaches to always know that I recruit with integrity. I don't believe that I've got to put other coaches or teams down in order to lift myself up. Quick story: Years ago, when I'd first started coaching, I was recruiting against a conference coach. Yada, yada, yada, the girl decided to go to the other school. I saw that coach a few months later and she wanted to thank me for the nice things I said about her to this recruit. Once the young lady told me where she was going, I complimented the other coach as a class act...who knew that the recruit would actually tell her? Good thing I'd said good things!
Administration. I hope that I bring value to my administration. Of course I'm speaking in terms of my sport knowledge, my program's success, the positive experience my athletes have with me. But also in terms of understanding how to write an appropriate budget...and stay within it, responding to requests in a timely and professional manner, managing my staff effectively, and having a fundraising strategy for my program.

That's a lot to strive for... and there's so much more that I didn't write! God willing, I have a long time before I have to attend my own retirement dinner. And God willing, I hope to be able to call myself "accomplished".

S Is For Success: 4 Requirements For The Accomplished Coach

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น